For greater comfort, the Altai Basic can be paired with the detachable floor (which comes in two pieces, and can be configured to have a center “aisle,” or to cover only half, or to cover the entire area or both), or with the optional floorless inner tent, or with both. And in warmer weather, the two side panels next to the entrance can be partially rolled up for extra venting.
For guides, wilderness course leaders, search & rescue teams, and the like, the Altai makes both an excellent stand-alone shelter for first aid, dining, briefing or classroom sessions, and/or a large dedicated sleeping area. For paddle and bike tourers, it offers plenty of room to sort or fix gear out of the elements. Ski tourers, too, find the Altai a natural choice, as foot wells and sleeping platforms can be dug into the snow, and snow flaps keep the walls firmly in place. At the same time, the Altai’s simplicity and large space to very low weight ratio make it an excellent choice for Scouts or any group – even a couple – who will find the Altai convenient, comfortable and palatial on any trip in any season!
Two versions are available: the lighter weight Altai UL Basic is made from Kerlon 1200 – the same lightweight fabric found in Hilleberg's all-season Red Label tents – and is ideal for those needing the lightest weight package. The Altai XP Basic, meanwhile, uses Kerlon 2000, an exceptionally strong, heavy duty fabric, and is a better choice for more demanding use. Both share the same large gauge zippers and sturdy fittings, and both come complete with side poles and an extendible Tarp Pole for the center point.
- Center Support: Single central support can be achived with a pole, a ski, or by suspension from above
- Roof Vents: Adjustable roof vent are easily accessible from inside of the tent
- Guy Lines: 8 guy lines are integrated into the pole support system, and 15 additional huy line points afford even greater stability
- Flaps: Flaps keep sidewall secure, especially in snowy condidtions
- Large Entrance: Large entrance has dual zippers for easy entry and exit. The door can be secured with three toggles and loops
- Sidewall Support: Sidewall support can be achived with poles, trekking or ski poles, or by suspension